Thursday, November 8, 2012

DIY Stacked Picture Frames

I love crafts, can you tell?  Not like I want to paint and glue paper to toilet rolls or anything.  I like practical, colorful, and beautiful crafts that serve a purpose in my home.  Like picture frames!  This is my first year actual participating in Super Saturday; apparently posting a blog about all my craftiness puts me as a shoe-in for leading a project.  Not that I mind.  I had a lot of fun, especially once I got to the event on Saturday; running around for three days beforehand…not so much.  Lessons learned… J

One, very important, lesson that I learned what that I may not have the ability to complete all the projects I signed up for and lead my own.  In fact, I ended up taking all of my signed up projects home to complete.  My favorite project?  It’s a toss-up between the cup holder and the stacked picture frames; unfortunately I only photographed the frames in progress.  So here we are:

Start by spray painting three wooden boards.  You can do whatever size you want really, just figure out how large you want them in relation to the picture frames you want to use.  Tip: press thump pins into the back of the boards so the newspaper doesn’t stick to the wet paint.


Let the board paint dry completely.  The next step is creating whatever design you want on the middle board.  I went with a chevron pattern, which took me about an hour to tape up.  I’m a perfectionist, but eventually I just had to live with what I did.  I was tired of retaping to make it perfect.  


I then spray painted the patterned board.  I also spray painted the three picture frames in contrasting colors. (I ended up repainting the blue boards with a teal acrylic paint because the spray paint was too light blue for my home.)


When all the frames are dry I hot glued Velcro pieces to the backs.  This will allow the frames to come off the boards so the pictures can be changed.


Next, I distressed the boards and the frames.  I did this simply by streaking and rubbing antiquing medium into the wood.  Love the weathered look!


Hot glue the Velcro pieces, while attached to the frames, onto the board where you want them.


Voila!


Oh BTW, here’s the adorable and function cup holder that I made, with plenty of room for family additions.  ;-)




No comments:

Post a Comment